Cultivating Vulnerability, Courage, and Shame Resilience
January 23, 2020 @ 9:30AM — 1:00PM Eastern Time (US & Canada)
A 1 in 3 Foundation Lunch and Learn, Co-Sponsored by the Nurse-Family Partnership and Texas Pioneer Foundation
Thursday, January 23, 2020 9:30 a.m.-1:00 p.m.
The Daring Way™ is an empirically based training and certification program for helping professionals, based on the research of Dr. Brené Brown. The work focuses on courage building, shame resilience, and uncovering the power of vulnerability. The methodology is designed for work with groups, individuals, couples, and families.During the continued education, Brenda McBride, LCSW, Certified Daring Way™ Facilitator Candidate will discuss skills in cultivating vulnerability, courage, and shame resilience for helping professionals.The empirical benefits of self-compassion, gratitude, and empathy will also be identified and discussed.
Target Audience: Sexual Trauma Survivors, Mental Health Professionals, Social Workers, Psychologists, Nurses.
Beginning Level to Intermediate
About the Speaker: Brenda McBride is a Licensed Clinical Social Worker, Licensed Brain Gym Instructor, Registered Parent Educator, TBRI practitioner, and EMDR Certified Clinician that is among one of only seven providers in the state of Texas that is certified in Tension and Trauma Releasing Exercises (TRE), and a Certified Daring Way™ Facilitator Candidate . With over 20 years of clinical experience, it is her passion to provide healing to mind, body, and soul. Brenda currently leads a weekly PTSD Support Group for Sexual Trauma Survivors for the 1 in 3 Foundation. Brenda also performs individual, group, marital, and family therapy to adults, children, and adolescents, many of whom are sexual trauma survivors or have been impacted directly by behaviors related to coping with trauma. Brenda also provides mental health training and has served on multiple mental health expert panelists regarding mental health issues in the east Texas Community. She has provided recent trainings for the 1in 3 Foundation, Texas EMS Alliance, Texas Association of Directors of Volunteer Services, East Texas Crisis Intervention Stress Management Team, City of Palestine Fire Department and Police department, Smith County Peace Officers Association and The Leadership Academy. In addition to her work with sexual trauma survivors, Brenda also created the “Helping our Heroes” PTSD Warrior Peer Group.
- Objective #1: Participants will be able to define vulnerability as uncertainty, risk, and emotional exposure.
- Objective #2: Participants will identify and discuss the four myths of vulnerability, based on the research of Dr. Brené Brown.
- Objective #3: Participants will define shame as the intensely painful feeling or experience of believing that we are flawed and therefore unworthy of love and belonging.
- Objective #4: Participants will be skilled in differentiating the difference between shame, guilt, humiliation, and embarrassment.
- Objective #5: Participants will be able to identify the values that are most important in their professional lives and demonstrate why values clarification is essential to the development of resiliency in themselves and their clients.
- Objective #6: Participants will be able to define and provide examples of the various ways that people offload hurt and put up barriers to reckoning with emotion: chandeliering, bouncing hurt, numbing, stockpiling, high-centering, and The Umbridge.
- Objective #7: Participants will identify empathy and self-compassion as the antidotes to shame based on the research of Dr. Brené Brown.
- Objective #8: Participants will identify Theresa Wiseman and Kristen Neff’s attributes of empathy and provide examples of empathic failures they experience in their professional lives.
Commonwealth Educational Seminars (CES) seeks to ensure equitable treatment of every person and to make every attempt to resolve grievances in a fair manner. Please submit a written grievance to: Maya Bethany, (903) 881-3091, email@example.com. Grievances would receive, to the best of our ability, corrective action in order to prevent further problems.
Accommodations for the Differently Abled
1 in 3 Foundation training facilities are handicap accessible. Individuals needing special accommodations, please contact: Maya Bethany, (903) 881-3091, firstname.lastname@example.org.
It is the participant’s responsibility to check with their individual state boards to verify CE requirements for their state.
Continuing Education Credit is pending through Commonwealth Educational Seminars for the following professions:
Commonwealth Educational Seminars is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Commonwealth Educational Seminars maintains responsibility for these programs and their content.
Licensed Professional Counselors/Licensed Mental Health Counselors:
Commonwealth Educational Seminars (CES) is entitled to award continuing education credit for Licensed Professional Counselors/Licensed Mental Health Counselors. Please visit CES CE CREDIT to see all states that are covered for LPCs/LMHCs. CES maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
Commonwealth Educational Seminars (CES) is entitled to award continuing education credit for Social Workers. Please visit CES CE CREDIT to see all states that are covered for Social Workers. CES maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
Licensed Marriage & Family Therapists:
Commonwealth Educational Seminars (CES) is entitled to award continuing education credit for Licensed Marriage & Family Therapists. Please visit CES CE CREDIT to see all states that are covered for LMFTs. CES maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
As an American Psychological Association (APA) approved provider, CES programs are accepted by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC). These courses can be utilized by nurses to renew their certification and will be accepted by the ANCC. Every state Board of Nursing accepts ANCC approved programs except California and Iowa, however CES is also an approved Continuing Education provider by the California Board of Registered Nursing (Provider # CEP15567) which is also accepted by the Iowa Board of Nursing.